Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Joy of Childbirth


Last night we were watching a T.V. show where a character gave birth and they handed her the baby afterward. It reminded me of all the feelings that I've felt after having a baby and holding that newborn for the first time.

That is my favorite part of having a baby. The part when you've just finished delivering the baby and they wrap him or her in a blanket and give them to you to hold. Their eyes are closed, their faces are scrunched, often they are crying from being so abruptly torn from their warm, cozy home for the past nine months, and they are yours. Such an amazing feeling! There's nothing better than it, I think. I can't think of any other time I ever felt so much joy and peace and excitement all at once.

If my mind and body would allow, I would have dozens of babies just to experience that over and over again! But, those sweet babies are so needy and grow up to be kids who are needy and caring for that many kids would drive me out of my mind (four is already a LOT to handle!), plus having baby after baby definitely takes its toll on one's physical body. But that is my most favorite experience of all--the time just after birth when you get to hold that sweet baby for the first time! What a wonderful time!


3 comments:

Tiffany Wacaser said...

That is really a special moment. The intense feeling of relief, coupled with joy, tears, and amazement, is truly unique.

I think my other favorite times are when they are so little and just want to be cuddled by mom. I loved nursing my babies to sleep and falling asleep myself was just so blissfull.

JennaK said...

Yes, it is easy to see why they come to Earth in such a helpless form, so we can truly serve them and learn to love them completely and unconditionally. They are so sweet at that helpless newborn stage.

Michael and Lindsey said...

What a great post! Yes, having babies is wonderful. I've been so overwhelmed at the thought of four kids lately, but I had an ultrasound a couple of days ago and realized during that moment what a great blessing it is. Too bad we don't have unlimited capacities to care for dozens and dozens of them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails