Thursday, April 30, 2009

Doing Too Much Without Really Doing Anything


Sometimes I feel like my life is so full and busy and then at the end of the day I can't even figure out what I did. Or when my husband calls from work or school and asks what I'm doing, usually it's not worth explaining to him what exactly it is that I'm doing...I'm looking for my daughter's missing shoe, or I'm trying to restack the Tupperware she pulled out of the cabinet, or I'm helping my 2-year-old in the bathroom, or I'm trying to calm a crying 4-year-old who didn't get the pencil he wanted, or sometimes I'm just lying there on the couch trying to figure out what comes next.

Then there are the point of my day that are so jam-packed that I just can't seem to keep it all together. When I'm making dinner for both my family and a family in need. I don't have enough of what I was making for us, so I have to make something else for them, and I'm doing both at the same time.

Yet it all seems so meaningless. Sometimes I do things just to keep myself busy. Do the pictures that haven't been put in an album yet really need to be re-organized? Probably not. Do I really need to go through the swimsuits and toss the worn out ones right now since we most likely won't be going swimming anytime soon? Not really. Is it really necessary to re-organize the extra room closet--was it really so bad before?

Then I have all the projects I want to do and probably need to do that I just can't seem to get motivated to do. Like repainting the kitchen. At first I didn't mind the pink, but the longer I'm in it, the more I feel like I'm living inside a bottle of Pepto-Bismal. So we bought some cranberry to re-paint. I know that once I get started, the job will be done in a matter of days and, knowing me and my love for monotonous yet detailed work, I will probably really enjoy the actual work. However, I can't seem to get motivated enough to open that can of paint, cover everything with plastic, and get going on it. I'd rather lay on the couch and watch re-runs of "Home Improvement" while the children nap.

Does anybody else ever feel like their day is so full but they accomplish nothing?



3 comments:

The Bottjer Family said...

Yes, yes, and YES! As dumb as it sounds, sometimes I make lists of all of the monotonous things I've done so I can at least look at it at the end of the day and see what I really did (and to prove to Josh that I was busy). Hah hah.

JennaK said...

I have had many days where Corey comes home and asks "So what did you do today?" and I totally blank on an answer because I can't think of anything notable to tell him, but since I've been busy all day, "nothing" seems to be the wrong answer.

Devin & Ruthann said...

This totally applies to me too! It's annoying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails