Sunday, February 28, 2010

Behind the Blog

I really enjoy blogging. I like to write, and it's sort of a sounding board for ideas going through my head--a way to organize my thoughts and get them out. But, as any other author will probably attest, it's much more satisfactory to know that your words are being read.

I manage four blogs. One of them is a book club that I started online because I have so much family and many friends that live far away. I admit, I haven't done much with that one lately, but maybe we should get back to it. Another of them is my family blog, and the reason I keep that separate from this blog is for this exact reason that I'm writing about right now--I like to have a place where I can write whatever I think and feel and see. My family blog is our family history and I print that blog up into a book every year. It's more of a journal of what our family is doing. Then I have one where I keep track of all the preschool activities and lessons I do with my children. I doubt anybody reads that one, but if someone happened across it, they might get some ideas of their own and realize that they don't have to pay for their preschool age children to learn. Then I have this one, where I write my thoughts and opinions and basically just whatever I want.

But when it seems like nobody is reading your work, it just seems like pointless effort to come up with ideas to write about or even blog at all for that matter. It would just be nice to have some feedback so I know I'm not the only one reading my blog!

6 comments:

Devin & Ruthann said...

I didn't know you do a blog about activities you do with your kids. That's a great idea! I'd love to read it!

Devin & Ruthann said...

Oh, and I know how you feel. I love writing and when I blog I wonder if anyone even reads it. Because, of course part of the reason I blog is to share my thoughts/experiences with people.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog and enjoy it very much. I dont always have the time to comment, but I generally try to comment a lot on peoples blogs because I know how it is to wonder if people are even reading it.

Emily said...

I totally read your blog(s)! I didn't know you had one about preschool stuff, though. I'm like you in that I love to get comments. But I'm just really bad about leaving them!

NatureGirl said...

I think anyone who writes anything can relate...

Just wanted you to know I read this post and will read others as well. Thank you for leaving a comment on my guest post on MMB (On the backordered life). I was intrigued by what you said and hope that you will blog a bit about that.

How is your life not what you wanted it to be and why and how would you change it?

DeNae said...

I'm here for the same reason Nature Girl is here - only I'm the Backordered Life lady! Your comment made me a little sad, particularly since I worried that all of us over there saying, "My life is so AWESOME" just made things worse for you.

I just want you to know that our lives have been filled with disappointments and frustrations, and there isn't a day that goes by without my trying to peek through the trees to see how things are going on that 'road not taken'.

Raising kids is hard. Education opportunities don't always pan out. Our health isn't always cooperative. And so on and so forth.

I mostly just wanted to tell you that you're not alone in feeling like some aspects of life have let you down, and that we all have those periods of "Is this really what it's all about?"

You may well be like me: I didn't really hit my "joy" stride until my 40s. I'm still raising kids, and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. But in a lot of ways, I settled down and came to really enjoy who I've become so far.

Keep making the "commenting" rounds! That's the best way to get people to read what you're writing.

Good luck!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails