Friday, April 16, 2010

The Kitchen Table


There is something so powerful about spending mealtimes gathered around the table, eating together. You know, actually sitting down with the food in the center, the place settings and some conversation.

There is so much research out there about how the family meal such as this is so important to strengthen families, eliminate childhood obesity, and keep children on the right path. Why is that? Why does one 20-30 minute meal where everyone sits down together have such an impact?

We sat down to breakfast this morning (yes, I'm way old school--we eat together for breakfast every day) and it just felt so nice to have everyone there, talking to each other, sharing excitement about the upcoming events that day and all that.

We do a little thing at dinner where we each go around the table and share our "high" for the day and our "low" for the day. It's a great way to initiate conversation and to share our feelings with each other. Since the majority of us spend the majority of time at home, our highs and lows usually revolve around each other and that provides really good bonding time as well a chance to discuss things that aren't going very well (as manifested in some of the lows).

Have you ever noticed that when a bunch of girlfriends get together, their bonding time usually involves gossiping over food? It's no wonder that families can bond during mealtime like no other time.

I love our family meals. My own family kept doing them my whole childhood, even when I was a teenager. I hope I can keep it up the same way my mother did.


2 comments:

Evelyn said...

I am awful about this. My husband works until late every night and so my children are in bed loooong before he gets home. I often find myself in front of the computer at meals. Naught mommy! shame shame on me.

JennaK said...

My husband is often missing from the family table, but I had it growing up, so I really have a hard time eating anywhere else. Even when I'm alone, I eat at the table.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails