Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mount Laundry


Lots of people think I'm strange, but I have laundry days. I do regular laundry on Mondays and Thursdays. I try to wash sheets and other bedding on Tuesdays, about every other week or every third week. I wash towels and the bleach load (husband's white work clothes mostly as well as cleaning rags) on Fridays.

When I do laundry, I wash each load and then I fold the load when it's dry. I usually have my children put away their own laundry. I try to do all that in the same day, preferably by dinner, so it's out of the way. It doesn't always get done, I admit. That's the plan, but sometimes the unfolded laundry sits in the dryer or laundry basket until the next laundry day.

Oh, and my kids separate the loads for me. They do it when they put their dirty laundry in the hampers. Yes, hampers. Two of them. One for whites and one for colors. Makes loading the washing machine a piece of cake for me. My mother did this and I borrowed the trick from her. And when I do bedding, I change the sheets before the wash load. That way, all I have to do after the sheets are washed is put them away. The beds already have clean sheets on them. Then the next time, I take the folded sheets from the closet to put on the beds and wash the other ones. A little extra work right up front, but then I don't have to worry about it the rest of the day. I hate it when I don't do it that way because I'm feeling lazy and then it will be bedtime and I'll realize I have to put sheets on all the beds!

So, how do you approach laundry? Is there a method to the madness or not?

5 comments:

Tiffany Wacaser said...

I have a whole mountain range right now. clearly we have too many clothes.

Amy said...

I do it almost the same way - Tuesdays and Fridays. My goal is to get it all done and put away the same day, but some weeks I'm lucky to get the clean laundry folded and put away before the next scheduled day of laundry starts.

And I would love to have extra sheets to make the beds as soon as I pull off the dirty ones. I only have extras for my bed, so I'm often racing to get clean sheets on beds before bedtime.

JennaK said...

Yeah, I finally caved and bought an extra set of cheap sheets for each of the kids' beds. I did that during the potty training of my second because he was a tough one and we went through a lot of wash loads of sheets.

Thanks for stopping by.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Method to the madness? Well, for me, when the laundry room stinks, it's time to do the laundry.

And that's the sad truth.

Anonymous said...

I dont have a plan or a system but i need to get one.. I have a huge basket that all of my laundry goes into... I take laundry out of it and put it into the washer making sure to leave the whites behind. When I have enough whites I will was a white load.. Otherwise I do laundry every day at least 2 loads a day... Diapers need to be done everyday and then I normally have the regular clothes, towels and bed clovers to wash so I feel like Im constantly doing laundry... I used to fold it and put it away soon as it was done but these past few months Ive gotten slack on doing so. The furthest I get is piling it all on my bed and then laying the clothes in piles according to whom they belong.... They arent thrown into a mound, but instead laid flat... I suppose I could simply just hang them up from there but it takes a bit more time ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails