Thursday, June 25, 2009

Modern Luxuries


I tend to overthink everything. I think too much and too long on subjects that many people probably don't even consider. For one thing, I really don't like some contemporary cultural rituals of ours. I wonder where they all started and how they became so important in our lives. Despite the advancements in technology, which have improved our lives, true, some of it is unnecessary and has created a culture of both selfishness and laziness.

An example of this is the decorated bedroom. Not that I'm against a child having their own room and even having it decorated to their tastes, but when did it become a necessity? I recently saw a commercial advertising cheap decorating accessories so you can change your teen's room as her moods and tastes change. Really? I don't think my parents ever did anything for decorating my room other than giving me a matching bedspread and pillow cases with a bedskirt that also matched. I was fortunate enough just to have my own room, growing up with 5 brothers. That's actually the only reason I got my own room--because I was the only girl. My brothers all shared until the older ones moved out of the house. One house we lived in my four brothers shared a basement as their bedroom. It didn't even have a door, it was basically the basement living room turned into a bedroom with two sets of bunk beds. My baby brother was less than a year at the time, so he got his own room upstairs across the hall from my parents. Two homes later, my two older brothers shared one room and the three younger ones shared another room, and all five of them shared one bathroom between them.

All I'm saying is that some things that are deemed as "necessary" by parents of today's contemporary culture are not really necessities, but luxuries that we could live without. I could go on about other types of this indulgence, but I can't think anymore right now. My brain needs a rest!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails