Monday, May 28, 2012

Great Plan of Happiness

Today I'm reminded of our Heavenly Father's great Plan of Happiness.  I'm so grateful for this plan, for the peace that it brings.

Today is Memorial Day.  All over the United States we are honoring fallen soldiers who gave up their lives for the price of freedom.  I like to use Memorial Day as a time to remember all of those people in our lives who have passed on.  My grandparents, all four of them.  My uncle that I never knew.

I am reminded of Heavenly Father's wonderful plan because of this.  Earlier this year, a friend of mine started posting about her friend whose 4-year-old boy was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor.  Yesterday, that little boy died. 

As I read the most recent posts about this little boy and then went back through the family's blog and looked at pictures of him from his birth until he died, I was reminded of this plan.  That plan that when we die, our spirit is released from our imperfect mortal body.  That plan that when we are resurrected, our bodies will be perfect.  That plan that we will be together again someday.  And I'm reminded of an especially beautiful part of that plan, the doctrine about the salvation of little children.  This part brings such great comfort in the wake of such tragedy.

Among all the glorious gospel verities given of God to his people there is scarcely a doctrine so sweet, so soul satisfying, and so soul sanctifying, as the one which proclaims—Little children shall be saved. They are alive in Christ and shall have eternal life. For them the family unit will continue, and the fulness of exaltation is theirs. No blessing shall be withheld. They shall rise in immortal glory, grow to full maturity, and live forever in the highest heaven of the celestial kingdom—all through the merits and mercy and grace of the Holy Messiah, all because of the atoning sacrifice of Him who died that we might live.[1]
In the article, I especially love the part where he talks about how the family will get to raise that child again.  I only know a few people personally whose children have passed away.  But through the Internet, I know of quite a few families who have lost little ones, either to terrible diseases, such as little Atticus, to sudden tragic deaths.  I am so grateful for the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and the comfort of the knowledge of the life hereafter that this brings.

Rest in peace, little Atticus.  Rest in peace.

--------------------------------

[1] The Salvation of Little Children, Bruce R. McConkie, Ensign, April 1977

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails