Saturday, February 4, 2012

Navigating Through Parenthood

I saw this link on Circle of Moms called "10 Big Issues Moms Face With Tween and Teen Daughters" and when I clicked on it, it went through ten different links to articles on topics ranging from how to buy a bra, how to talk to your daughters about puberty, when to let them date, when to let them wear makeup, how to prevent teen pregnancy, when to let them start on the pill, etc.

As I flipped through the selection of articles, I thought about a couple of things. First of all, I recalled how my parents handled these things. I realized that many of them are things that can be found in "For the Strength of Youth". It gave me comfort to realize that many of these big issues in parenting these days have answers that are straight-forward and right there for the taking. All I have to do is use the resources I have from the teachings of the Church. Dating, chastity, drugs and alcohol, etc. are all issues discussed in that pamphlet. I haven't looked at the pamphlet in about 8 years, but I'm sure a parent can make a link from the section on chastity and the one on dating to talk about sexting.

Obviously not all of these have answers directly from the Church, but many of them can be linked back to something with the Church. Others are clearly up to the parent's discretion, and I'm glad that my parents were so clear on their limits and expectations that I can remember them and will probably have the same (or similar) rules for my daughter. For example, I was allowed to start wearing makeup at the age of 14 and my parents took me to a studio where they taught women how to apply makeup correctly.  We will probably have either the same rule or similar (maybe age 12 or 13) for when our daughter can start wearing makeup and then we will make sure she is properly taught.

I am just hopeful that if I am wise in using these resources in teaching these things to my children, not just my daughter, but the boys too, it won't be a big question of how to do it, it will just come naturally as they grow and mature. At least, that is what I hope.

*This picture is from my senior year of high school when I went to the Senior Dinner Dance with friends

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails