Friday, August 1, 2008

Being a Perfectionist


I think that we perfectionists create a lot of extra work and worry for ourselves. We want everything and everyone to be exactly perfect, so we waste a lot of time worrying about how we're going to accomplish our perfect feat. We also don't accept help because we want to do it ourselves, thinking that others can't do it as perfectly as we can. Sometimes people come in to help us but don't do it right, so we go back and do it again our way, which in turn makes it so nobody wants to help us. Then we have all these things to do and too much to do and we can't do it all, but we can't accept help because we like things to be done exactly right. Make sense?

I'm a perfectionist, though I've become less of one since marrying my husband, who is the complete opposite of that. He's so laid back about everything. He doesn't have a worry in the world. If something doesn't get done one day, there's always the next. He doesn't seem to worry about how it's done either, as long as it gets done (and I admit, it doesn't often get done). But he's a lot less stressed and way more relaxed than I ever am! It's hard to become a non-perfectionist when you already are one. You just have to stop caring so much about everything. It's hard to do.


2 comments:

Lara said...

I totally understand what you are saying Jenna. It's pretty crazy-making and I find myself trying hard to let a lot more go these days. Interestingly enough, the more I relax my perfectionist tendencies, the more I am able to accomplish it seems.

Tiffany Wacaser said...

Amen.

I struggle with perfectionism with housekeeping and really it keeps me away from doing what I should be doing--mothering my children. Such a hard thing to conquer though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails