Friday, January 20, 2012

Refreshing Friendships

Today I was able to spend some time with a former college roommate of mine. It's been a little more than a decade since seeing her last, as the last time I saw her I was newly engaged. In the time since, she has spent several years overseas and I have spent time teaching school and moving around the western United States and having my family.

One fun thing is that she and I have the same family makeup. We both have five kids--three boys, then a girl, then a baby boy. Her family is older, though, since she got married four years before I did, so her third child is the same age as my first child.

Anyway, it was such a refreshing day for me. I get to read her blog and she regularly reads and comments on mine. We keep up with each other via Facebook and email as well. But it was so nice to see her again in person and talk. I've had many friendships where things were a bit uncomfortable seeing each other for the first time in a decade, but this wasn't like that at all. I feel so rejuvenated after spending several hours chatting with her and watching our kids play together.

Isn't it wonderful when you can have a friend like that, where long-distance and lengthy separations don't seem to change anything? I am feeling much more positive and excited about things and I know it's from today's get-together. So here I am wishing her luck in her next endeavor, which is moving overseas once again with her family. Hopefully it won't be as long of a time before we see each other again!

1 comment:

Tiffany Wacaser said...

I really had a fabulous time with you as well. I think your kids are absolutely adorable and your baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could just eat him up. I especially loved how all your boys wanted to involve him in the play and just be with him. I know this may sound funny to say, but it really helps me knowing that you are also in the same boat with having four boys and 1 girl. I love all my kids, but sometimes it is hard having only one girl. I know at least someone else understands what it is like. Visiting with you made the time fly by as I packed and kept me relaxed and happy the day before our flight! So THANK YOU so much for coming over and spending time with me. It really made my week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails