Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: The Help

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I really enjoyed this book. It was thought-provoking and I was completely wrapped up in the story. I felt it was well-written and easy to read. The only part I didn't like was the ending. I was disappointed that things didn't work out for Aibileen to stay with her family because that little girl really needed her. Even though it was fiction, I'm sure there were situations like that for real where the children suffered because of the choices of the parents (as there always are) and those stories always break my heart.

I did feel like I learned more about what it was like during segregation in the south. I learned all that history in school, but always from a very dry perspective (this happened, etc.) without any feeling attached. Reading this, I was able to gain a new perspective and actually think about how it might have felt to have been there. I love well-written historical fiction books that help history come alive!

I did see the movie and thought that it was a good adaptation to the screen. Of course they left out some parts and changed things around, but I think it moved along well and hit the key points of the book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails