Friday, June 18, 2010

Our Story: Part II

Okay, after finally scanning in pictures and re-reading Part I, there was a little detail that was left out.

After I met the man that would become my husband, like I said, I didn't think much of him. I was interested in another guy at that time. One of the places all of us would go hang out was at the In-N-Out Burger in Lancaster.

My husband worked at that In-N-Out.

After I initially met him, I didn't see him around much. He was quite busy with football, school, and work, and since he didn't attend the singles ward and went to Institute classes during the day, when I was teaching school, it was weeks before I saw him again. The very next time I saw him was one of those visits to In-N-Out, where we all went after the Wednesday night Institute class and he was working.
*If only I'd known back then how big a part of my life In-N-Out would end up being. I had no idea that it would be such a huge part of my life--back then it was a just a fast food joint we would frequent. I had never even heard of In-N-Out until moving to CA to teach school. It was on a date with a different guy that I even first tried the food.

I was in a joking mood, so I went up to the counter where he was standing and said, "Where have you been all my life?" It had actually started with the question of where he'd been, why he hadn't been around at activities and such, but that's what came out of my mouth.

He tells me that's what got him to notice me.

Our first real encounter was from an activity that we had--going down to the lighting of the Christmas lights at the Los Angeles temple grounds. He and a few people went down earlier in the day to get us a spot, and the rest of us came down later. We spent much of the time before the program flirting and trying on each other's hats (his was a baseball cap, mine was a Santa hat). After the program, we walked around the temple grounds together, looking at the lights. Then we all drove down to the Santa Monica pier and had hot chocolate on the beach. I walked to the end of the pier with him.

I was disappointed when he didn't ask me out for the following night or even the next weekend. After the Christmas lights, we got heavily involved in Institute choir. We were working on a Christmas program that we would sing at seminary morningsides throughout the Antelope Valley. That was when I really got to know him, was during Institute choir.

To be continued...


Related Posts with Thumbnails